Friday, February 28, 2014

Corn bread, my way.....

Hi everyone,  have you been waiting for my fabulous corn bread recipe?  Have you been checking, and rechecking if I have posted yet?  It's ok, if you haven't.  I just had to write that. 

OK, another super duper easy, great tasting recipe. 

Now, before I get started, I have to tell you, my Grandmother made the best cornbread.  LOVED it.  Yummo!  Once in a while she would use this recipe I am sharing.  Mostly hers was made from scratch.  I have tried, I it's just not the same.  Now, my Mother, is an excellent cook.  This where I got the recipe from.  I remember making it in a plastic bag and squeezing it till it was all mixed.  I was so fascinated by that. 

Drum roll..... here you go......




Yep, Jiffy corn muffin mix!  easy, huh? 

I follow the instructions on the package.  Sometimes I add a can of diced green chilies.  Sometimes I add a can of drained canned corn. sometimes I add grated cheese.   Sometimes I add all.  Sometimes nothing.  This time, just the diced green chilies.  Then the magic!  I bake it in an iron skillet!  Mom always baked it in a glass 8 x 8" pan.  That's what I have always done too.  In the last couple of years, I have come to love my iron skillet.  To bake the cornbread in an iron skillet is magical, yummy, everyone gets some crispy cornbread edges.  hmmmmm, hmmmmm, good. 

I use 2 packages of the Jiffy mix, because I have a large iron skillet.  Make sure you have oiled your skillet.  Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.  You can always put a knife in the center and pull it out to see if it's done.  Do not over bake it!  You will be sad. 

Serve with butter, some honey if you wish, but serve it hot out of the oven.  Hubby likes it cold too.  But I think hot is best. 

hugs......


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey, thanks for visiting! Come back soon.....